9.06.2009

watermelon gazpacho


Last summer I fell in love with gazpacho. It seemed like every restaurant we dined in served a version of this refreshing summer soup. So when I spotted bright red ripe early girl tomatoes while shopping I decided to try my hand at gazpacho, but with a twist. I spied a recipe at chow that added watermelon into the mix.

With my tomatoes and watermelon at hand I attempted my maiden voyage to the isle of gazpacho. At first the results were a tad to sweet and the texture iffy, but with addition of cabernet vinegar and more time in the blender I had an edible version of this classic summer dish.

After my mediocre attempt at gazpacho, I realized that perhaps I should have done more research on how gazpacho is classically prepared. I am easily lured by exotic sounding recipes and beautiful food styling, but relying on these external cues does not contribute to my true understanding of how any dish is prepared. With this in mind I am going to end my over reliance on recipes and focus on fundamentals. This isn't going to be easy....

1 comment:

  1. I had this gazpacho and it was amaaaaaaazing! The color was so bright with the addition of the watermelon and the taste was complex without being overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete