9.04.2009

things that keep me up at night


It is not nightmarish images like the incubus and floating horse heads in Henri-Fuseli's The Nightmare, but blog posts of real life chefs discussing the massive loans and paltry pay that eventually lead some of them to leave the kitchen.

I am not going into the culinary business hoping to become the next big food star or to have a namesake restaurant, but I'm still scared. WIthout a doubt I am excited about culinary school and working in the food industry, but I am wary of how my(highly probable) permanent low wage status will affect the financial dynamic of my marriage. I am married to an impossibly sweet and supportive man who has encouraged me to pursue my passion for food. I worry that following my dreams without much regard for compensation will shackle him to jobs he may not like because I do not make enough money. It was one thing to make no money as a teacher, I was happy and single. My choices were my own. Career choices are a whole another story when it involves considering another person. Aaargh! I can't help but childishly wish for a pat solution, but I know there's no such thing. Maybe I'm just being a negative nelly, but I just want to go into this new culinary adventure with a realistic view of its challenges and rewards.


No comments:

Post a Comment